Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hope for 2008

Looking ahead to 2008 I hope for a political climate that will be friendlier to Latinos and immigrants than we have seen in the past two years. I hope that a Democratic President will be elected that will lead congress into comprehensive immigration reform. I hope that using anti-immigrant rhetoric will backfire for politicians and be looked at as negatively as the pro-segregationist anti-civil rights rhetoric that was used in the 60's.


I hope for an economy that will recover from higher gas and food prices, the real estate-sub prime crash, and immigrant bashing. I hope that if Democrats win they will still pursue economic policies that will be pro-economic growth and pro-entrepreneur. I hope that Democrats will not raise taxes on those that can afford it the least and over regulate our economy into an even worst recession. I hope for economic policies that will encourage the innovation and wealth creation that the current technological revolution is allowing. I hope for trade and immigration policies that will allow people to develop fully wherever they choose to live.


I hope that Lou Dobbs will see the biggest ratings drop in television history and that his anti-immigrant anti-trade dribble will be discredited once more. That someone will debate Lou Dobbs in 2008 the way Al Gore debated against Ross Perot during in 1993 and make him look like as much of a fool.


I hope that Democrats will finally pass comprehensive health care reform that will guarantee that every resident of the United States has affordable health Insurance. I hope that finally democrats will realize that more school choice, less bureaucracy, more school leader and teacher accountability and training, higher expectations on our kids, longer school days and school years, and more school funding tied to accountability will lead to reduce the racial learning gap. That our political leaders will truly believe that all kids can learn regardless of race or who their parents are.


I hope our political leaders will finally support policies that will protect our environment, protect our natural resources, conserve energy, and make countries energy independent.


I hope that our political leaders will finally end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hope that at the same time Fascists and religious extremists won't take over the Middle East. That we will keep our young soldiers from harms way, while at the same time protect the lives of millions Muslims in the Middle East. That we keep Israel safe from harm and free, while at the same time respect the rights of millions of Palestinian innocent people.


I hope that the Social Democrat governments of Chile, Brazil, Peru, Guatemala, Argentina, Uruguay, finally produce economic growth that the majority of the people in their countries will benefit from, reform schools and health care, and show Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua and Bolivia that their extremist Bolivarian revolution will only lead to more poverty and misery. That hope and not despair will rain in Latin America.

I hope that voters will reject political extremists and finally the sensible silent middle will be heard.


I hope for a better year in 2008. And that 2007 remains a far, distant, bad memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home